Park Owners

Mobil home park photo
The Department provides the forms and notices park owners need to sell your mobile home park, raise the lot rent, and register your park(s), and has authority to enforce the mobile home park law. Our staff can answer questions and help with compliance with the law and rules.

COVID Housing Assistance Programs

COVID Housing Assistance Programs for Renters, Landlords, and Homeowners. Park owners and residents are eligible to apply for back lot rent. Mobile home owners who have fallen behind on their mortgage can also apply to the COVID emergency mortgage assistance program.

Park registration

The online registration portal is open. The annual registration and lot fees were due on September 1. Please register your parks immediately if you have not already registered. The lot fees for 2020 are $12 per occupied, leased lot.  

PLEASE NOTE: The list of parks mailed in July may have "2019 Mobile Home Park Registration List" on the top. The list of parks you are responsible for registering is correct. 

Lot rent increases

Vermont law requires 60 days' notice to each leaseholder and the Commissioner on the Notice of Mobile Home Park Lot Rent Increase and Worksheet provided by the department. Any increase more than one percent above CPI-Housing as determined by the department is eligible for mediation.

Based on CPI-Housing, the mediation percentage for 2020 is 3.8%. The new forms and percentage for 2021 will be provided in early October. Using the wrong form will require re-issuing the increase on the correct form and may cause a delay and refunding any increased rent.

Please use the forms below for any lot rent increases. The department is happy to review any notices to ensure they are complete and accurate before you send them. Email to Please note due to COVID our offices are closed and staff are working remotely so do not send notices via fax.

Fillable rent increase form:  File will open in a new window. If necessary click View, Enable Editing to begin filling out the form. Tab to enter. Be sure to tab through the entire form, and "Save As" to your computer when finished. Print and give one copy to each leaseholder and one to the Commissioner.

2020 Online Notice of Mobile Home Park Lot Rent Increase form (docx)

Printable rent increase form:  Print and fill out completely. Give one copy to each leaseholder and one to the Commissioner.
2020 Notice of Mobile Home Park Lot Rent Increase form (pdf)

Owner's Affidavit for Capital Improvements Surcharge (pdf) - Required for any lot rent increase that includes a surcharge for capital improvements to recoup the cost of replacement or repair of any major infrastructure system costing more than $2,500.

Park sale – Vermont law requires 45 days’ notice by certified mail, return receipt requested, to each mobile home owner and the Commissioner before selling a mobile home park. (*With exceptions for sales or transfers among family members, through foreclosure, to a trust solely benefiting a park owner’s family members, among partners who are owners, incidental to financing, among owners as joint tenants or tenants in common, pursuant to eminent domain, or pursuant to a municipal tax sale.) The law also requires a sale notice before closing a mobile home park unless certain conditions are met.

Forms effective April 12, 2013 (updated 8/23/2019). Failure to use the current forms may result in invalid notice and require a re-notification. Notice of Intent to Sell must be sent by Certified Mail Return Receipt Requested. If refused or not deliverable the notice must be re-sent by First Class mail to the mobile home owner's last known mailing addres. The department is happy to review any notices to ensure they are complete and accurate before you send them. Please note due to COVID our offices are closed and staff are working remotely so do not send notices via fax.

Notice of Intent to Sell a Mobile Home Park forms and instructions (pdf) 

Notice of Intent to Sell a Mobile Home Park forms and Instructions (docx) If necessary click View, Edit Document to complete this form. "Save As" when finished. 

Park closure - Vermont law requires 18 months' notice by certified mail to each affected resident or leaseholder and the Commissioner before closing a mobile home park. Notice of Intent to Sell is required before issuing a closure unless the land owner files a notice in the land records stating that the property will not be sold for a period of five years from the closure notice. Contact us for the required forms and instructions (updated 9/25/2018). Failure to use the current forms may result in invalid notice and require a re-notification.

Leases - Vermont law requires written leases in mobile home parks. The minimum requirements for lot leases are outlined in the Housing Division Rules. Park owners are required to provide a copy of the current lease to any leaseholder upon request.

Model Vermont Mobile Home Park Lot Lease (docx) - Updated May 2018. Meets basic statutory requirements. 

Rent to Own

Under Vermont law, a executed Retail Installment Sales Contract that complies with 9 VSA Chapter 59 and a Mobile Home Uniform Bill of Sale are both required to transfer ownership under a rent-to-own or lease-purchase agreement. The bill of sale needs to be completed, executed, endorsed, and filed with the Town Clerk to transfer ownership to the buyer. If ownership is not transferred, the rent-to-own is considered a rental agreement meaning the "buyer" is a tenant with all of the rights and protections of Vermont landlord-tenant law.

Rules - The Housing Division Rules govern many aspects of owning and operating mobile home parks in Vermont, including the Rules for Mobile Home Park Warranty of Habitability.   

Other resources

Revised Above Ground Storage Tank Rules went into effect on August 15, 2017. For more information contact the VT Fuel Dealers Assocation

Landlord's Certificate
Online or contact the Vermont Department of Taxes at (802) 828-2865 or toll-free at 1-866-828-2865

Are there Underground Heating Oil Storage Tanks (UST's) in your park that need removal?
Information on loans for removing, installating, and upgrading UST's is available from ANR's Waste Management Division.

Looking for grant or loan funds to help with your project? The Department of  Environmental Conservation may be able to fund your project through its Drinking Water State Revolving Fund, Clean Water Revolving Fund, or Petroleum Clean Up Fund. Summary of DEC Grant and Loan Programs

What are the rules about discrimination?
"Mobile Home Parks and Vermont's Fair Housing and Public Accommodations Act" (pdf)

HUD Programs

Manufactured Housing Installation Program

  • Applies to the initial set up of new manufactured homes, effective May 1, 2016
  • Installer licensing information and list of licensed installers
  • Inspection information and list of qualified inspectors
  • Mobile home retailer responsibilities and disclosures

Contact Us

Arthur Hamlin, Housing Program Coordinator—Mobile Home Parks

One National Life Drive
Deane C. Davis Building, 6th Floor
Montpelier, VT 05620-0501

Visit for more inspiration and information on living, working and doing business in Vermont.

Icon-Text Widget - Subscribe to our Newsletter