What is the Vermont Training Program (VTP)?
For over 30 years, the Vermont Training Program (VTP) has partnered with employers and training providers to prepare Vermont's employees for the jobs of tomorrow. VTP provides performance-based workforce grants for pre-employment training, training for new hires, and training for incumbent workers. This training can either be on-site or offered through an outside provider. VTP grants may cover up to 50% of the training cost.
VTP also works with eligible employers to introduce manufacturers and other regionally significant employers to Vermont students at every level. Employers who provide work-based learning programs or activities developed in partnership with a school or educational program may apply to VTP for a grant to offset the costs of providing these programs.
VTP helps businesses of all sizes. From 2018 to 2022, VTP helped train 8,500 Vermont workers at 239 businesses. Almost half of those businesses employ 50 people or less.
VTP supports several different types of training, but the most requested programs are for advanced manufacturing skills like Lean Technology, Computer-Aided Design, and Computer Numerical Control machining. Supervisory and management trainings are also popular.
Vision and Goals:
The Vermont Training Program is a flexible, nimble, and strategic workforce development program that enhances the skills of the Vermont workforce and increases productivity of Vermont employers. VTP aims to:
- Assist with funding employee training projects related to the development and production of new and innovative products, equipment, technologies, market opportunities, or processes that will lead to significant advances in innovation and/or productivity.
- Use funds to supplement, not replace, existing training efforts
- Assist with training new employees and existing employees to encourage to aid in retention
- Assist with training in transferable skills
- Encourage wage increases for employees
- Collaborate with other state Agencies and Departments to align efforts and funding
- Align training resources to the Vermont Statewide Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy (CEDS)
For more information about the program, reach out to VTP Program Director John Young at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For examples of VTP in action, see an annual report.