Skip to main content

Mobile Home Residents

New Funding Opportunity

There are new funding opportunities through the Vermont State Housing Authority for mobile home parks and current and prospective mobile home owners. Check out our MHIR page to learn more about the Manufactured Home Improvement and Repair Program (MHIR).

New Energy Efficient Mobile HomeThis resource page includes helpful information on a variety of topics that may be of interest to mobile home park residents and homeowners. Please visit our homeowner resource page for information about financing, down payment assistance, and mobile home repair loans and services.

Resources on this includes information about:

Vermont Statutes and Rules Protect Residents

Through a written lease and Vermont law, mobile home park residents are entitled to parks that are safe, clean, and habitable. This includes adequate and reliable utility services, safe electrical service, potable water and connection to a properly functioning septic system or sewer, safe roads, common areas, and facilities.

Mobile home park residents are also entitled to:

  • A written lease that meets the requirements in the mobile home park law and is reasonable and fair
  • A copy of their lease upon request
  • Not be discriminated against in the rental of a lot and the purchase or rental of a mobile home
  • Notice at least 60 days before any lot rent increase. Lot rent increases must be provided on the Department's form. 2024 lot rent form
  • Dispute any lot rent increase that is more than the mediation threshold. For 2024 the mediation threshold is 6.7%
  • Peaceful enjoyment of their home and the park
  • Not have the park owner go onto their lot except between the hours of 7 AM and 7 PM with 12 hours notice and only for the reasons allowed in the law (with some exceptions)
  • Sell or rent their mobile home to someone else in place with the park owner's permission. The park owner can't unreasonably withold permission
  • Have their full security deposit returned within 14 days except for deductions allowed by law. Any deductions must be itemized in writing by the park owner
  • Notice by Certified Mail before the park owner starts an eviction in court (in most cases)
  • Not be evicted without cause, such as nonpayment of rent or substantial lease violation, and only by court order
  • Proper notice of the park owner's intention to sell or close the park

If you rent your mobile home, you are also protected by Vermont's landlord-tenant law. That law is found at 9 V.S.A. Chapter 137. [Contact CVOEO Vermont Tenants for assistance.]

The Department contracts with the Champlain Valley Office of Economic Opportunity (CVOEO) Mobile Home Program to provide support services to mobile home park residents throughout Vermont. If you are experiencing any problems or have questions, call (802) 660-3455 ext. 204. Visit their website for more resources, including the Guide to Your Rights booklet. 

If you have received an eviction notice or any notice from the Court, get legal advice immediately. If you need help finding a lawyer, visit Vermont Law Help.

Forms for Buying or Selling a Mobile Home

Mobile home park residents are required to notify the park owner and town or city clerk at least 21 days before selling their mobile home and provide them with a copy of the proposed (completed but not signed) uniform mobile home bill of sale. The resident also must give the buyer's name and address to the park owner by certified mail. If the park owner determines that the buyer does not qualify, the resident may not sell the home to that buyer.

A complete Vermont Property Transfer Tax Return will also be required in most cases. 

Uniform Mobile Home Bill of Sale Forms:

PVR-2602C Vermont Mobile Home Uniform Bill of Sale (external link - Vermont Department of Taxes)

Or contact the Vermont Department of Taxes at (802) 828-2515.

Property Transfer Tax Return, PT-172:

PT-172 Vermont Property Transfer Tax Return (external link - Vermont Department of Taxes)

Or contact the Vermont Department of Taxes at (802) 828-2515.  

Vermont Property Tax Homestead Declaration:

Homestead Declaration (external link - Vermont Department of Taxes) 

Or contact Taxpayer Services at (802) 828-2865.

Rent to Own

Under Vermont law, a mobile home may be sold with a rent-to-own or lease-purchase agreement, but the buyer is still considered a tenant unless: 

1) the buyer and seller execute a Retail Installment Sales Contract that complies with 9 VSA Chapter 59; and

2) complete, execute, endorse, and file a Mobile Home Uniform Bill of Sale with the Town Clerk.  

Without both of these documents, the agreement is considered a residential lease, and the "buyer" is considered a renter and retains all of the rights and protections of Vermont landlord-tenant law and rental housing codes.

Mobile Home Retail Installment Disclosure

Banking Bulletin #41: If you buy a mobile home from a retail seller, you may be eligible for a loan with a lower interest rate and less expensive financing costs, points, or fees from another lender. This bulletin provides guidance on the form, content, and timing of the disclosures required by 9 V.S.A. § 2603 and includes a model form of the Mobile Home Retail Installment Contract Disclosure required by 9 V.S.A. § 2603(e).

Available Mobile Home Park Lots   

Mobile home residents need the park owner's permission to rent a lot or mobile home and live in a park. See which parks have available lots on the Department's list of nonprofit and cooperative (resident owned) communities or the annual Registry of Mobile Home Parks.

Installation and Set up of MH's

All new manufactured homes set up in Vermont must be installed per U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) regulations. As of May 1, 2016, this means they must be installed by a HUD licensed installer on an approved foundation and have been inspected by a qualified inspector before occupancy. In most cases, new MHs require a frost-protected concrete slab. Tie-downs and anchors are also required for new manufactured homes constructed since October 20th, 2008. The State of Vermont does not regulate the installation and set up of manufactured or mobile homes. However, it is still important to check with your town officials for any local requirements.

Heating Fuel Tanks

A spill or leak from a heating fuel tank can cause an environmental hazard and cost thousands of dollars to clean up. The Above Ground Storage Tank Rules require an inspection at least once every three years and cause fuel tanks to be "red tagged" if they do not meet specific standards. If a tank is "red tagged," no heating fuel will be allowed to be delivered to the tank until it's repaired or replaced

If you have a heating fuel tank that needs to be replaced, you may be eligible for a grant from the State's Waste Management Division. This grant program offers up to $2,000 for removal, replacement, or upgrade of above ground residential heating oil tanks, or up $4,000 if your tank is underground, depending on the tank type and other factors. Contact the Waste Management and Prevention Division for information and income eligibility. 

HUD Code for Manufactured Housing

Manufactured homes are built to pre-emptive federal standards of the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). These standards are referred to as the "HUD code." The State of Vermont does not regulate the construction or installation of manufactured or mobile homes. If you have a question or a problem related to the purchase or installation of a new manufactured home, contact HUD's Manufactured Housing Office or the Vermont Attorney General's Consumer Assistance Program

Under Vermont law, the terms mobile home and manufactured home are used interchangeably. 

HUD Programs

State Administrative Agencies

  • For issues related to new manufactured homes (i.e., cracks in walls or ceilings; centerline floor uneven, plumbing and electrical issues, etc.) but not including cosmetic issues or installation
  • Administered by HUD for manufactured homes in Vermont
  • May provide corrective action for safety-related defects that occurred during manufacturing
  • Consumers should contact the retailer or manufacturer first

Dispute Resolution Program

  • For defects in new manufactured homes (excluding cosmetic or contractual issues) or with the retailer, manufacturer, or installer that are reported within one year of installation
  • Available to manufacturers, retailers, installers, and consumers in Vermont
  • Administered by HUD for Vermont manufacturers, retailers, installers, and consumers
  • Consumers should contact the retailer, manufacturer or installer first