Federal and state rehabilitation tax credits help to stimulate private investment, create jobs, restore historic buildings and jump start the revitalization seen in Vermont’s Designated Downtowns and Village Centers. Successful projects range from small bed and breakfasts and rental apartments to multimillion dollar downtown redevelopments.
We are not currently accepting applications for this program. An annoucement of the next round of funding will be made in the spring of 2022 with applications made available at that time. The next deadline to apply is July 1, 2022.
- State Tax Credit Project Map
- 2021 Tax Credit Project Summaries
- State Tax Credit Annual Report
- Federal Tax Credit Annual Report
What is a tax credit?
While not cash or a grant, tax credits essentially redirect income taxes owed to help pay construction bills. For example, if your tax bill is $10,000, a $4,000 tax credit will reduce your tax bill to $6,000. Credits are available from both the federal government and the State of Vermont.
Does my building qualify?
- Federal Rehabilitation Investment tax credits are available for eligible historic commercial buildings, meaning income-producing buildings, listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Many of Vermont's designated downtowns and villages are listed and pre-qualified for federal credits. Not sure if your building is listed or eligible for listing? Email Caitlin Corkins or call 802-828-3047.
- State Downtown & Village Center tax credits are available for eligible commercial buildings and non-profit owned buildings over 30 years old (sorry, no private residences, but rental properties are eligible) located within designated downtown or village centers. Find out if your building is located within a designated downtown or village center by entering the building’s street address, or email Caitlin Corkins to find out if your property qualifies.
What work qualifies?
Federal and state tax credits support general rehabilitation, code compliance, and exterior improvements. In some cases, projects may be eligible for both the federal and state programs. Both programs are designed to enhance the historic character of Vermont and use the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation to assure changes are sensitive and appropriate. For specific advice on a project, staff is available to meet on site and discuss how the Standards apply to individual projects. To schedule a meeting, email Caitlin Corkins or call 802-828-3047.