In fiscal year 2024 (July 1, 2023– June 30, 2024), the Vermont Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) has funding to grant to municipalities for land use, development, and zoning bylaw updates in support of a pedestrian-oriented development pattern that increase housing choice, affordability, and opportunity in areas planned in accordance with Vermont’s smart growth principles (24 V.S.A. §2791). This funding is intended to help municipalities confront the State’s housing shortage and ready areas for new housing investments. Grant applications are currently closed.
Program Description & Program Details (for reference)
Applications for the program are currently closed; this program description is provided for reference. More details about next year's cycle will be posted in summer of 2024.
To close your Bylaw Modernization Grant, please email the following to Jenni Lavoie:
- The completed BMG Closeout form
- A ledger listing all invoices and payments
- Copies of all invoices
- Copies of all cancelled checks for payments (front and back) OR a detailed transaction report including check number, recipient, date, amount, certified by your treasurer as true and accurate
- A copy of the bylaw that was created during the project; it should credit the program for funding
- If GIS data layers were created as part of the project, they should be submitted on the GIS Data Submission form
All of these requirements are listed in Attachment B of your Grant Agreement.
Separately from the grant closeout, proposed and adopted bylaws must be submitted to DHCD as usual via our Municipal Plan and Bylaw Submission Page; adopted bylaws must include the Reporting Form. If you have any questions, please contact program staff.