Skip to main content

ACCD Severe Storm Recovery Resource Center

As a result of the devastating July storm in Vermont, the Agency of Commerce and Community Development has established this page to serve as a resource center for the recovery process in the weeks and months ahead. This page will be consistently updated with the latest information ACCD has available. Resource Page

A full list of resources, including how to access specific individual support and assistance, is available at  This resources page covers all statewide and federal resources that can support Vermonters in the wake of this disaster and provides links to access those resources.

Sign up for the Severe Storm Recovery Newsletter

The Agency will be providing updates on the recovery efforts and available disaster loans and other aid that follow the recent severe flooding across Vermont. Please sign up here to receive these updates

Business Resources & Financial Support

Business Emergency Gap Assistance Program

The Department of Economic Development has launched the Business Emergency Gap Assistance Program to help businesses and nonprofits that suffered physical losses from the flood.  The application portal for the $20 million state funded grant program in now open.  Visit the Business Emergency Gap Assistance Program web page for more details and to apply.

Economic Injury Survey

The Agency of Commerce and Community Development is asking businesses to please fill out its new Economic Injury Survey.  There is currently no grant program to help businesses that lost revenue and suffered no physical damages, but gathering this data gives ACCD a more complete picture of the flooding's toll and informs efforts to advocate for recovery, relief and resiliency programs.

Flood Recovery Assistance from Efficiency Vermont

Technical Assistance:

Efficiency Vermont’s team of engineers are offering technical assistance for businesses recovering from flooding. Contact Efficiency Vermont to discuss: 

  • Your business’s electrical and mechanical needs 
  • Which equipment qualifies for the flood recovery rebate 
  • What to do if you’re moving locations 
  • How to mitigate future weather-related damage to your equipment 


Businesses whose appliances or equipment were damaged by summer flooding can get assistance from Efficiency Vermont. As part of a $36 million dollar package of new flood help, businesses can get an additional $1,000 rebate per eligible product, up to four products, in addition to Efficiency Vermont’s standard offers. Get an additional $1,000 back on qualifying: 

  • Heating & cooling equipment 
  • Refrigeration 
  • Commercial kitchen equipment  

Additional rebates may be available.  Learn more and apply at Efficiency Vermont.

Help for Businesses and Nonprofits from the SBA

The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) is offering two types of loans to businesses affected by flooding,  Physical Damage Loans and Economic Injury Loans.

Physical Damage Loans are available in Addison, Caledonia, Chittenden, Lamoille, Orange, Orleans, Rutland, Washington, Windham and Windsor Counties. Businesses throughout the state are eligible for Economic Injury loans. 

Please note, application deadlines are based on the type of loan you seek and your physical location.

Physical property damage loan applications are due:

October 12, 2023 (Caledonia, Chittenden, Lamoille, Orange, Orleans, Rutland, Washington, Windham and Windsor Counties)
November 13, 2023 (Addison County)

Economic injury loan applications are due:

April 15, 2024 (Bennington, Caledonia, Chittenden, Essex, Franklin, Grand Isle, Lamoille, Orange, Orleans, Rutland, Washington, Windham and Windsor Counties)
June 14, 2024 (Addison County)
To learn more about SBA disaster loans visit or call 1-800-659-2955.

The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) has released a fact sheet for Vermont disaster loans, that details what may be available and at what interest rates. While the fact sheet includes a lot of information, we know there will be many questions.

Businesses should engage with the SBA team PRIOR to submitting an application. It is imperative that applications are fully accurate prior submission, or they will be kicked back. 

General information on how these loans work can be found on the SBA website.

Guidance for Private Nonprofits

The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) is offering additional guidance for private nonprofits seeking SBA loans and FEMA assistance.  They are making available additional low-interest loans for certain private nonprofits in Bennington, Orange, and Washington Counties.  Eligible private nonprofits provide what the SBA considers non-critical services of a governmental nature including food kitchens, homeless shelters, libraries, and more. Here is the process:

  1. Private nonprofits must first apply for regular disaster assistance from the SBA. 
  2. Private nonprofits in Bennington, Orange and Washington Counties can then apply for additional low-interest loans

All damages must be from storms, flooding, landslides and mudslides dating back to July 7, 2023.

FEMA Seeking Multi-Family Residences

FEMA wants to hear from multi-family unit owners and landlords as it looks to temporarily house flood victims whose homes are uninhabitable. The Multi-Family Lease and Repair program allows FEMA to make improvements to existing units, bring them up to code, and then house flood victims for a minimum of 18 months.

If interested, you much reach out to FEMA by October 27, 2023. The first step is to send FEMA an email.  Here is the information they are looking for.

Reporting Damages

Vermont Emergency Management and Vermont 211 have set up an intake form for businesses looking to report damages.  This reporting will be used to create a database and allow state and federal agencies to communicate directly with businesses owners as disaster loans and other aid comes online. 

Business Resources and Guides

The Vermont Small Business Development Center Flood has many resources, including first steps that you should take if you have experienced a flood event at your business and the Disaster Recovery Guide for post-disaster guidance.

Manufactured Homes Impacted by Flooding

If your manufactured home was impacted by the July flooding, make sure to take the following steps to report your damage, register with FEMA and receive a condemnation from Vermont Fire Safety if needed.  

Counties: Caledonia, Chittenden, Lamoille, Orange, Orleans, Rutland, Washington, Windham, Windsor

Registering with Vermont 211 

The State of Vermont is collecting details about damage to residence and businesses. If you are a resident of the state of Vermont, please fill out the 211 form with as much detail as possible. These forms continue to be collected to show damages to FEMA, especially in counties that are not already declared for FEMA assistance.  

It is imperative that the State know about damage to your Mobile Home or Mobile Home Park, so that the help needed can be provided!

Register and Apply with FEMA 

Vermont homeowners and renters affected by the recent flooding who live in counties that have recently been designated for Individual Assistance could be eligible for help from FEMA. The fastest and easiest way to apply is to visit or download the FEMA mobile app ( ) (also in Spanish), wherever you access your mobile applications. 

If it is not possible to apply online, call 800-621-3362 (TTY: 800-462-7585). The toll-free telephone lines operate from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. EDT, seven days a week, with language translation services available. 

FEMA will ask you for the following: identifying information like your Social Security number, an address where the disaster happened and where you’re currently staying, and a description of the damage you experienced.

Receiving a Disaster-Related Condemnation 

If your Mobile Home received substantial damage and is not habitable ask for Certificate of Condemnation from your Municipality.  A law enacted makes the process to Condemn a Flooded Mobile Home quicker and more streamlined. A municipal building inspector, municipal Health Officer, fire marshal or Zoning Administrator can complete this condemnation process for you.  

Please reach out to Fire Safety if you have any questions about the condemnation process, condemnation form or need help in inspecting homes/properties for Condemnation. 

File a Claim with Your Insurance 

If you have homeowners or renters insurance, you should file a claim as soon as possible. By law, FEMA cannot duplicate benefits for losses covered by insurance. If you are uninsured or underinsured, you may be eligible for federal assistance. 

Be Patient, Don’t Remove Your Home! 

The State is recommending that individuals wait to remove condemned homes from their sites until payments from FEMA has approved your award, and you believe the award is accurate. Removing a home from its site before the FEMA award process is complete, could void your FEMA award.  

What’s Next? 

The Governor, the Department of Housing and Community Development, Housing partners, Flood Relief Chartable Funds, Construction Companies and Water Haulers are swiftly and actively working to develop a removal and disposal program, with the goal of making this service low cost or no cost to the homeowners who lost everything. 

We want homeowners to use their FEMA award to help secure new housing and not pay the costs associated to remove their destroyed home.

Additional Resources

Mobile Home Park Rights & Resources from the Champlain Valley Office of Equal Opportunity

Vermont Flood Disaster Recovery Resources from Efficiency Vermont

Events and Webinars


ACCD recently hosted a "FEMA & the SBA During a Disaster Response" webinar with FEMA, the SBA, businesses and nonprofits to learn more about federal assistance and what these organizations do and don’t do in an emergency.  There are subtitles available in English, Bosnian, Chinese, French, Spanish, Swahili and Vietnamese.  To access a list of them, click on the gear icon along the bottom of the video player, then select "Subtitles/CC". 

Other State Agency Resources

Guidance and Flood Disaster Procedures from other State Agencies and Partners

Volunteer & Donate

Volunteer Resources

Donate to Storm Recovery Efforts