Resources for Home Owners

No place like home
No Place Like Home
The Housing Division organized the resources on this page to assist you with your housing needs and questions. We do not provide loans or grants to homeowners, regulate condominiums, or enforce landlord tenant law.

Mortgage Help

Call the Mortgage Assistance Program (MAP) at the Vermont Department of Financial Regulation at 1-888-568-4547 or visit their website.

The Homeownership Preservation Foundation (1-888-995-HOPE) is a network of nonprofit agencies that offer free services to distressed homeowners to help budget and avoid foreclosure whenever possible.

Financing and Home Repairs

The NeighborWorks® Alliance of Vermont homeownership centers are often the best place to start whether looking for, or buying, a house.  Homeownership centers also offer offer home improvement, low cost energy, and septic repair loans.

Champlain Housing Trust's Housing Loan Fund provides home improvement, energy efficiency, and access modification loans to eligible homeowners in Chittenden, Franklin, and Grand Isle Counties. Throughout Vermont, the Manufactured Housing Down Payment Loan Program assists mobile home owners purchase, or replace their mobile home with an Energy Star rated manufactured home. This program is funded by funds awarded by Department of Housing and Community Development. 

The Vermont Housing Finance Agency (VHFA) provides low interest mortgage loans for low and moderate income Vermonters, and down payment assistance loans of up to $5,000. VHFA finances purchase only loans for single family homes, condominiums and duplexes. VHFA does not finance manufactured housing.  

The Opportunities Credit Union is a nonprofit financial institution that offers both conventional fixed and adjustable rate mortgages, home equity loans and loans for mobile homes on land or in parks.  Visit their website for information.  Opportunities also offers home repair and energy improvement loans.

USDA Rural Development offers very low income housing repair loans and grants for rural homeowners and mobile home owners in approved parks in Vermont and New Hampshire. And now, offers long-term affordable mortgages for mobile home park residents under the USDA Energy Efficiency Manufactured Home Pilot Program.

Staying in Your Home

Senior citizens who need assistance to stay in their home can refer to the Vermont Department of Disabilities, Aging and Independent Living (DAIL) or call the Senior Helpline at 1-800-642-5119.

HomeShare assists elders and people with disabilities to live independently in their own homes by bringing them together with people who seek affordable housing and/or caregiving opportunities. In northwestern Vermont contact HomeShare Vermont at 802-863-5625. For HomeShare Now serving central Vermont call 802-479-8544.

If you or someone in your family needs handicap access modifications, call or visit the Vermont Center for Independent Living; 1-800-639-1522.


This Department does not have jurisdiction over state condominium statutes, nor regulation of condominium associations.  The 2010 amendments that went into effect Jan. 1, 2012 are wide-ranging and affect numerous sections of the statute, see links below. If you have specific questions, seek legal counsel.

Uniform Common Interest Ownership Act (27A VSA; 1994)
Statute relating to condominiums in Vermont. May not apply if condominium was established before January 1, 1999 or has fewer than 24 units.

Condominium Ownership Act (27 VSA Chapter 15; 1967)
Statute relating to condominiums in Vermont, including Protection of Tenants in Conversion of Mobile Home Parks. Applies to all properties which have submitted a "Declaration of Condominium" which is a legal document and filed in the town land records.

Renting Your House

Add an Apartment to Your House

Get "Finding Common Ground: the Definitive Guide to Renting in Vermont" (pdf)
Publication of CVOEO Vermont Tenants and Vermont Apartment Owners' Association

Vermont Rental Housing Health Code 

Code Highlights and Information Sheets for codes administered by the Vermont Department of Public Safety, Fire Safety Division.

Historic Homes

If you own an historic home and have questions about eligibility for the National Register of Historic Places or financial assistance contact the Division for Historic Preservation.

Contact Us

Shaun Gilpin, Housing Policy Specialist

One National Life Drive
Deane C. Davis Building, 6th Floor
Montpelier, VT 05620-0501