The Planning Manual
The purpose of this manual is to provide a guide for municipal planning commissions in fulfilling their role and responsibilities as set forth in 24 V.S.A. Chapter 117, the Municipal and Regional Planning and Development Act. A major role of the municipal planning commission is to develop the municipal plan. The 2016 Planning Manual provides information that will help the planning commission with this complex task, from designing the planning program to adopting the plan.
The Three Modules
Module 1: The Municipal Plan - New and up-to-date guidance to help citizen planners build consensus on the community’s top priorities and develop concrete action steps that local leaders can achieve.
Module 2: State Designation Programs - A concise guide on the five state designation programs and their benefits -- along with case studies that show how communities have used the designations to achieve their goals.
|Module 3: Best Practices in Plan Implementation [Forthcoming 2017] - until Module 3 becomes available, refer to the Vermont Land Use Planning Implementation Manual - a package of 30 topic papers introducing a wide range of concepts, tools, and techniques for helping communities achieve their planning goals.|
- Data Sources for Municipal Plans
- Example goals, objectives and policies from plans around the state. (**Work in progress.**)
- Municipal Plan and Bylaw Database
- Funding Directory for Municipal Planning
- Planning Consultant Directory
- Planning Statutes and Rules
- Other useful planning resources and publications