Department of Housing & Community Development

Resources for Renters and Landlords

Approximately 73,300 Vermont households rent.  This page has useful information and helpful resources for both renter households and owners of rental housing.

Information for Renters

If you're looking for an affordable apartment, try the Vermont Directory of Affordable Rental Housing or HUD's Low Rent Apartment Search

Information and application forms for rental assistance and homeownership programs including mobile home parks, administered by the Vermont State Housing Authority are available at the VSHA website. Contact your local public housing authority if you live in any of the following cities: Barre, Bennington, Brattleboro, Burlington, Hartford, Montpelier, Rutland, St. Albans, Springfield and Winooski.

If you are homeless, need shelter, or are in danger of becoming homeless dial 2-1-1 or visit the Vermont Office of Economic Opportunity.

Vermont's Rental Housing Codes

This website outlines the legal rights and responsibilities of landlords and tenants throughout the rental process and explains the standards that municipalities and town health officers should enforce when inspecting rental housing.

Vermont Rental Housing Health Code
The State Rental Housing Health Code (pdf) is enforced by the Town Health Officer and covers rented dwellings and mobile home lots that are not in a mobile home park.

Need information on the Landlord-Tenant or Mobile Home Park laws? The Champlain Valley Office of Economic Opportunity (CVOEO) publishes and distributes Renting in Vermont a handbook for tenants and landlords, and the Guide to Your Rights as a Mobile Home Park Resident (pdf), call 1-800-287-7971 for a copy.

Facing a legal problem or eviction? Vermont Legal Aid helps eligible people (low income, elderly, and disabled) with legal issues in housing such as accessibility, discrimination, evictions, foreclosure, unsafe housing conditions, and subsidized housing issues. Call 1-800-889-2047 or visit Vermont Law Help for information and referral.

Concerned about lead poisoning? There's only one sure way to find out if your child has lead poisoning. Call the Vermont Department of Health at 1-800-439-8550 for information, or review the Department of Health Lead Resource Guide.

Information for Landlords

The Vermont Apartment Owners Association is a membership organization that advocates for, and educates Vermont landlords to enable them to provide quality rental housing. The VAOA website includes a listing of available apartments and articles on issues of interest to landlords. The VAOA hotline for landlords is 1-888-LOW-RENT.

Publications of the Vt. Department of Public Safety; Division of Fire Safety
What Landlords Need to Know About Safe Housing & the Law (pdf) is a brochure to help landlords understand their obligations under life safety, electrical, plumbing, boiler and building codes administered by the Vermont Department of Public Safety, Fire Safety Division.

Lead-based Paint

Vermont's lead law requires landlords who own properties built before 1978 to conduct several Essential Maintenance Practices (EMPs) to reduce the hazards of lead poisoning. Learn more at

If you own a home or apartment building and want to reduce the risk of lead poisoning caused by lead paint, check out VHCB's Lead-based Paint Hazard Reduction Program.

Landlord's (Renter Rebate) Certificate, LC-142

Income Tax Forms from the Vermont Department of Taxes

Arthur Hamlin, Housing Program Coordinator - Mobile Home Parks