What is the Vermont Training Program (VTP)?
The VTP partners with employers and training providers to train Vermont's employees for the jobs of tomorrow. VTP provides performance based workforce grants for: pre-employment training, training for new hires and incumbent workers. Training can either be on-site or through a training provider/vendor. Grants may cover up to 50% of the training cost.
The VTP has been assisting with the training of Vermont’s employees for over 30 years. In FY15, the VTP served over 3,000 Vermonters.
As of July 2016 the VTP has taken its long standing record of success and moved the program to the next level. Going forward the VTP will leverage its $1.2 grant budget to serve Vermonters in a broader spectrum of industry sectors and has improved its processes to remain flexible and increase collaboration.
We also are now able to fund work-based learning programs and activities with eligible employers to introduce Vermont students in a middle school, secondary school, career technical education program, or post-secondary school to manufacturers and other regionally significant employers.
An employer with a defined work-based learning program or activity developed in partnership with a middle school, secondary school, career technical education program, or post-secondary school may apply to the Program for a grant to offset the costs the employer incurs for the work-based learning program or activity, including the costs of transportation, curriculum development, and materials.
Vision and Goals:
The Vermont Training Program will be a flexible, nimble, and strategic workforce development program to enhance the skills of the Vermont workforce and increase productivity of Vermont employers. VTP aims to:
- Assist with the funding of employee training projects related to the development and/or production of new and innovative: products, equipment, technologies, market opportunities, or processes that will lead to significant advances in innovation and/or productivity
- Have its funds supplement, not replace, existing training efforts
- Assist with training new employees and training that would be critical to the retention of employees
- Assist with training in skills that are transferable
- Encourage wage increases for employees
- Collaborate with other state Agencies and Departments in order to align efforts and leverage funding
- Align its training resources to the Vermont Statewide Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy (CEDS)