The following list provides links to data and information useful in creating community assessments for municipal plans.
- Regional Planning Commissions - Regional Planning Commissions often have the best available data and analysis available for your municipality.
- Vermont State Data Center - the Data Center is maintained by the Center for Rural Studies at UVM.
- Vermont Center for Geographic Information - VCGI maintains Vermont’s largest database of geospatial information.
- American FactFinder - a web site used to distribute data collected by the United States Census Bureau. It includes an easy to use interface that lets you gather data at the local level.
- 2010-2030 Population Projections - ACCD has published 30-year population projections for all of Vermont’s municipalities and counties.
- Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy resource page - webpage with links to the statewide and regional comprehensive economic development strategies.
- Guide to State and Local Workforce Data - useful guide published by the US Dept. of Labor
- Vermont Department of Labor website - Economic & Labor Market Information and research from the Department of Labor.
- LODES OnTheMap - a web-based mapping and reporting application developed by the US Census that shows where workers are employed and where they live. It also provides companion reports on age, earnings, industry distributions, race, ethnicity, educational attainment, and sex.
Natural Resources and Physical Conditions
- Natural Resources Atlas - geographic information about environmental features and sites that the Vermont Agency of Natural Resources manages, monitors, permits, or regulates. In addition to standard map navigation tools, this site allows you to link from sites to documents where available, generate reports, export search results, import data, search, measure, mark-up, query map features, and print PDF maps.
- Biofinder - a map and database identifying Vermont's lands and waters supporting high priority ecosystems, natural communities, habitats, and species. The most comprehensive assessment of its kind in Vermont, BioFinder was developed by the Agency of Natural Resources and partners to further our collective stewardship and conservation efforts.
- Regional Transportation Plans - each region in Vermont has their own transportation plans, which are great places to get transportation data for your community.
- Vermont Agency of Transportation (VTRANS) - VTRANS publishes a wide variety of statistics and information – such as crash data and traffic counts -- that can be useful in your planning process.
- Location Affordability Portal - managed by the USDOT and HUD, the Portal features tools that illustrate from different perspectives how housing and transportation costs impact affordability. In addition to these decision-support tools, the Portal provides access to supporting resources that offer a wide range of information on current research and practice aimed at understanding, and ultimately reducing, the combined housing and transportation cost burden borne by American families.
- Energy Planning & Implementation Guidebook for Vermont Communities - Vermont Natural Resources Council has created a useful guidebook, including a section on assessing energy use, needs and opportunities.
- Vermont Comprehensive Energy Plan - a 20-year plan prepared by the Department of Public Service in conjunction with other state agencies. Updated every five years, the plan includes a comprehensive analysis and projections regarding the use, cost, supply and environmental effects of all forms of energy resources used within Vermont
Cultural, Historic and Scenic Resources
- Historic Resources (Department of Housing & Community Development) - Vermont’s Division for Historic Preservation maintains a variety of useful resources to help municipalities inventory their historic & cultural assets. The Division’s Online Resource Center provides online access to all of the documents related to historic preservation activities throughout the state, searchable by municipality.
- Vermont Housing Data - the Vermont Housing Data website managed by the Vermont Housing and Finance Agency includes useful data that makes it easy for you to build a housing data profile for your community that includes trends over time at the local, county, and statewide level.
- Vermont Housing Needs Assessment - 2015-2020 State and County housing needs assessments are available for download on DCHD’s website.
Flood Resilience and Hazard Mitigation
- Flood Ready Vermont - the Agency of Natural Resources maintains this website that includes a tool that will instantly generate flood risk data, buildings in located flood hazard areas, mitigation actions and dates, and the status of Local Hazard Mitigation and Emergency Operations plans.
- Local Hazard Mitigation Plan Resource Hub - a variety of useful resources put together by the Vermont Division of Emergency Management and Homeland Security.
- While there are a variety of interesting resources looking at land use and land use change out there (like the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's land cover atlas), your Regional Planning Commission likely has the best data available for your municipality.
Did we forget to incude something? Let Faith Ingulsrud know.