Growth centers aim to align public infrastructure and private building investments with a local framework of policies and regulations to ensure that 20 years of future development will enhance the vitality of the designated commercial center, while protecting farm and forest land outside the growth center.
Check to see if you municipality is ready to apply by reviewing the Eligibility Checklist on page 4 of the Growth Center Designation Program Guide. For municipalities that are ready, DHCD staff will direct the municipality in preparing a preliminary application and then a draft application addressing all items in the Growth Center Application Form, including the six required analyses.
- Designated Growth Centers Annual Report
- State Designation Programs – Module 2 of the 2016 Planning Manual explains the purpose and benefits of all the state designations including growth centers.
- Requirements and Process of Growth Center Designation – 24 V.S.A. Chapter 76A §2793c
- Definitions of Growth Center and Smart Growth - 24 V.S.A. Chapter 76A §2791
Contact DHCD staff if your community is interested in pursuing growth center designation.
Designated Growth Centers
For the six existing growth centers, designation remains in effect for 20 years after growth center approval and the Vermont Downtown Board reviews the designation every five years – see the Five-Year Review Process (pdf).
- Williston - October 2007 approval decision (pdf), November 2012 Five-Year Review (pdf) and November 2017 Five-Year Report.
- Bennington - October 2008 approval decision (pdf) and October 2013 Five Year Review (pdf)
- Colchester - April 2009 approval decision (pdf) and May 2014 Five Year Review (pdf)
- Montpelier - September 2009 approval decision (pdf) and September 2014 Five Year Review (pdf) . Updated Boundary Map - 2016.
- Hartford - March 2010 approval decision (pdf) and May 2015 Five Year Review (pdf)
- St. Albans City - July 2010 approval decision (pdf) and September 2015 Five Year Review (pdf)
Growth Center Planning Manual for Vermont Communities (pdf) – 2007 Guidance for growth center designation, based on statute that has since been updated.