Windham County Economic Development Program
In a Memorandum of Understanding between the State of Vermont and Entergy, Entergy agreed to provide $2 million per year for five years to the State of Vermont “to promote economic development in Windham County.” These funds are administered by the Agency of Commerce and Community Development (ACCD), in cooperation with the Windham County Economic Development Program Advisory Council (Advisory Council), as the Windham County Economic Development Program (WCEDP).
The WCEDP is meant to promote economic development in Windham County by providing funds to stimulate job creation through business start-up, expansion, or relocation, encourage entrepreneurial activity, and strengthen the economic development infrastructure to ensure a strong foundation for transformational economic activity. The primary focus of the program will be private sector job creation and retention, and direct support of entrepreneurial activities, followed by support of systems and activities that encourage an entrepreneurial, innovation and business start-up environment and culture.
The program funds will be made available through direct low-interest loans administered by VEDA, competitive grants to organizations responding to an annual Request for Proposals, and non-competitive grants and incentives. For-profit businesses must apply for loans. Non-profits and municipalities may apply for loans or competitive grants. For more detail click here.
PROGRAM STRUCTURE AND PROCESS:
Technical Assistance and Letters of Intent to Apply: Applicants for loans or competitive grants are strongly advised to take advantage of the technical assistance made available in the region. Loan and competitive grant applicants are requied to attend a Letter of Intent to Apply Workshop, submit a Letter of Intent to Apply and have the LOI reviewed by the Windham County Advisory Council and approved by ACCD. If the LOI is approved, applicants attend an application workshop and then submit an application. Click here for a schedule of workshops. Click here for the process detail and here for the schedule for this year.
Loans: Applicants for loans are strongly advised to utilize available WCEDP technical assistance. Applicants are required to attend a Letter of Intent to Apply Workshop, then submit a Letter of Intent to Apply for review and approval. If the LOI is approved, the business must attend an application workshop and may file an application for a loan at any time after attending the workshop. Loan applications, including all required documentation and financial information, are filed directly to the Vermont Economic Development Authority (VEDA) using VEDA's Small Buiness Loan application. VEDA will conduct underwriting and make a recommendation to ACCD. If approved, the loan can be closed when all required closing documents are sumbitted to VEDA. Click here for additional detail on WCEDP loans.
Competitive Grants: A Request for Proposals (RFP) will be released each year describing the types of projects that are eligible for that round of competitive grant funding. Eligible projects may vary each year depending on the need identified by the region. Potential applicants are strongly advised to utilize available technical assistance. Applicants must attend a Letter of Intent to Apply Workshop and submit a Lettter of Intent to Apply for review by the Windham County Advisory Council and approval by ACCD. If the LOI is approved, applicants must attend an application workshop. Applications are filed with ACCD and will be scored by ACCD staff and reviewed by regional and state agencies. The Vermont Economic Progress Council will perform a final review of all applications, hold a public hearing in the region, and then make an allocation and prioritization proposal to the Governor. The Governor will select applications for funding. Both the LOI and application must address one or more objectives of the RFP, advance the goals and objectives of the regional Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy, and address certain other criteria upon which the application will be competitively scored.
GENERAL PROGRAM INFORMATION
- General Program Information (pdf)
- 2015 Timeline (pdf)
- Application Process (pdf)
- Technical Assistance Providers (pdf)
- LOI and Application Workshop Schedule (Includes links to workshop registration) (pdf)
- Letter of Intent to Apply Requirements (pdf)
- LOI Workshop Video (To come later)
- Workshop Certification (pdf)
- Windham County Advisory Council (pdf)
COMPETITIVE GRANT INFORMATION
- Competitive Grant Request for Proposals (RFP) (pdf)
- Competitive Grant Application (pdf)
- Grant Application Workshop Video (To come later)
LOAN APPLICATION INFORMATION
- Southeastern Vermont Economic Development Strategy (SeVEDS) (pdf)
- SeVEDS CEDS Goals and Objectives
- Windham Regional Commission
- Windham County Regional Plan (pdf)
- Municipal Information and Links to municipal plans
- Municipal Points of Contact (pdf)
- Brattleboro Development Credit Corporation (BDCC)
Windham County Economic Impact Reports
- Resiliency Action Plan for the Town of Vernon in Preparation for the Eventual Closure of the Vermont Yankee Nuclear Power Station (pdf)
- Consensus Economic and Fiscal Impact Analyses Associated with the Future of the Vermont Yankee Power Plant (pdf)
- The Economic Impact of the VY Station
- Windham County Post-VY Economic Mitigation and Growth (pdf)
If you would like to be kept informed about this program, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to be included on our Windham County Economic Development Program email list.